About Government Training Budgets

What is a government training grant?

A government training grant is when a French governmental training budget organisation funds part or all of your language course.  Lost In Translation/Alpine French School organises the application for you and follows up the entire budget application procedure.

How do I know if I qualify for a government grant?

If you are employed on a French contract or if you have a French registered business, then you should be eligible for a training budget.  Please contact us and we can tell you what information we need to check your budget entitlement.

About Alpine French School

Are all the teachers experienced?

All of our teachers are experienced and native-speakers.  Please see the ‘About Us’ page for more information about our teaching team.

Can students use the internet or have access to computers in Alpine French School?

We have a small multimedia centre with computers that students may use.  We also have free wifi and we give all of our students unlimited access to our online multimedia centre for the duration of their course.

Where do lessons take place?

Most of our lessons take place in one of our classrooms at our premises in Morzine/Saint Jean d’Aulps.  Our teachers can travel to your place of work for private lessons subject to travel expenses being added.

What ages of students do you accept on your courses?

For our group courses, we accept students of 16 years of age or older.  For our teenage summer programme, we accept students of 10-18 years of age.

Do I receive a certificate at the end of my course?

At the end of our courses of 15 hours of more, all students receive an evaluation which will be completed together with the teacher, detailing what they are able to do in the target language in accordance with the CECR levels and structure.  You will also receive a certificate.

I would like to take a qualification in French language, is this possible?

Please contact us for more information about this or visit the page on our website.

Bookings & Enrolments

How long in advance do I have to book my course?

We encourage students to book at least 1 month in advance to avoid disappointment if classes are full.  However we do take bookings if spaces are available up until 48 hours before the start of the course.

When can I start my course with you?

We have courses running every week.  Our intensive courses start every Monday.  Complete beginners may start on the 1st Monday of each month only.

How do I book/enrol?

Fill in the booking form on our website and one of our team will get back to you within 1 working day.  Please note if you would prefer to be contacted by telephone, otherwise we will respond by email.  Alternatively you can telephone us on the number advertised on our website.

What payment types do you accept?

We take payments by Euro cheque, cash, bank transfer (with the fees at your expense) and credit cards (Mastercard, Visa).

What happens regarding lesson cancellations?

Group lessons are booked as a course and no refunds are made for missed lessons.  For private lessons cancelled less than 48 hours in advance, the full amount will be charged.  In the unlikely event that Alpine French School has to cancel a lesson, another lesson will be offered in replacement.

I would like to take a French language course as part of my university course, is this possible?

Please contact us for more information about this or visit the page on our website.

About Our Courses

How do I know what level I am?

Take our online test (link) or contact us for an evaluation.  We evaluate all students prior to them starting a course with us to ensure that you are placed in a group of a suitable level.  We offer courses for all levels (A1.1 – C1) and all of our courses are based on the CECR Levels.

What if the level of my course is too high or too low?

We run courses of several different levels simultaneously, so students can swap between groups.  We also evaluate all of our students before they start lessons with us so that we place students in a group that is the right level for them.  If you think that you have been placed in the wrong level, please ask your teacher as soon as possible so that we can look into changing your class if necessary.

Are the lessons like school?

Lessons are fun, interactive and communicative.  So unlike at school, you get lots of opportunity to speak and try to use the language in a variety of situations.  Our maximum group size is 10 students, so you get more personal attention than in a large class.

Can I only learn to speak?

In order to speak a language, you need to understand how to form sentences and you need to know enough vocabulary (words!).  However, once you are at a low-intermediate level, we run conversation classes where students just practise speaking.

I’m scared of joining a group lesson.

There is no reason to be as everyone in the group will be in the same situation. However if the thought of joining a group is really that bad then we offer private lessons instead!

Will I have to do homework?

Homework is set for most of our courses and this allows students to consolidate what they have learned in class.  How much you choose to do is up to you and for very keen learners, we have many additional activities available in our online multimedia centre which you will have free access to for the duration of your course with us.

Do I have to buy books?

There is no need to buy books unless you wish to (in which case we can recommend suitable books to you).  We provide handouts and a file to keep them in and we also offer online study resources.

How quickly will I progress?

Progress depends on your starting level, the duration of your course, your personal motivation and personal study time in addition to your language learning ability.  We offer access to our online multimedia centre with many personal study resources to help speed up your progress.

Do we have to learn grammar?

Grammar is also the structure of a language so some grammar is needed to be able to structure a sentence for example.  Our aim is to get you forming phrases and speaking the language, so we teach as much grammar as needed for you to be able to do this.

How long are courses at Alpine French School?

We offer a large range of courses.  For those living and working in the area, we offer courses of 15 hours or more, either in one week or spread over 10 weeks if you are working at the same time.  For international students and people visiting the area, our standard course is 15 hours (20 lessons) per week with additional extras possible if you want to study more intensively.  We recommend at least 60 hours’ study in group lessons to notice a true improvement in your level.

What should I bring to my lessons?

Please bring a notepad and a pen to take any notes.  We also recommend that students bring a bottle of water as speaking French can make you thirsty!  You will be provided with a personalised course file with learning materials relevant to your course.  You may also wish to bring a dictionary or a way to access an online dictionary if you prefer.

Is teaching material included in the price?

You will receive a personalised course-folder with learning materials relevant to your course.  This will be given to you at your first lesson.  Students also receive a login for our online multi-media centre which has a vast range of general and personalised exercises for our students.

Accommodation, Transport & Practical Information

Where is the accommodation located and what options are available?

We offer accommodation in host families, hotels, self-catered apartments or chalets, traditional catered chalets and for the teenage summer programme in a study residence centre.  All of our accommodation is located in the town of Morzine and within easy access of our school, usually by foot, or occasionally by a short bus-ride.

I have booked accommodation with a host-family, what should I bring with me?

You should bring your personal belongings that you wish to have with you during your stay.  Bed-linen and towels will be provided by your host family.  You will be able to do weekly laundry.  It is a nice idea to bring a small present for your host-family from your country, some photos of your family and where you are from to show them and maybe other information about your home country.

How do I get from Geneva airport to Morzine?

We arrange airport transfers for the majority of our students arriving at Geneva airport.  This is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to get from Geneva to Morzine.  We also offer transfers from other nearby airports and railway stations.  You can book these with us when you book your course.

I live in the EU, do I need a visa to study at Alpine French School?

As long as your stay is less than 90 days, then you do not require a visa if you are visiting from the EU, EEE or one of the countries listed on the following French government web-page:


Please email us if you aren’t sure and we will be happy to help!

I think I need to apply for a visa, how do I do this?

If your stay is less than 90 days, then a visa “court-séjour” (short-stay) or “Schengen” is ok.  If you are staying for longer than 90 days/3 months, then you must first enroll on your course and then apply for your visa with proof of registration.  You should contact the local Campus France office and the French Consulate or Embassy in your country to make the application.    You will need to provide certain documents.  You can find out more information on this website:


Please contact us if you need any help or information.

Don't hesitate to call us and one of the team will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and discuss options. We all speak French and English! +33 (0) 4 50 79 08 38

Basic enquiry form

First name *
Surname *
Email *
Telephone number
What is your French Level?
Where did you find us?

Are you interested?

Why not contact us to book or request more info! Contact Us

Latest News

Contact Us

Let us help